Why is it important to have an IT strategic plan?
The functions of IT inside an organization have changed throughout the decades. Years ago, the IT department worked as a reactionary cost center. However, as technologies advanced and the digitalization of the workforce took over, IT assets became more difficult to manage, maintain, and support. These changes and advances brought the need to have an IT strategic plan.
What is an IT strategic plan?
An IT strategic plan is a guiding document for an organization’s IT assets. It helps define overall objectives and the tactics or strategies that support said goals.
This plan addresses the gaps between the current state of the IT assets and best practices. A solid strategy allows IT to become a partner for your business.
Components of a good IT strategy plan
- Alignment with business objectives: Both the IT and overall business strategies plan should align one with the other, in a way that IT strategies support the business goals.
- Long-term initiatives: A good strategy should include long-term initiatives. For example, if one of the business strategies is to have better customer digital communication, you may want to develop a plan to unify communications over the next few years.
*If the company has no in-house development resources, you may want to partner with an IT service provider with the necessary skills to see your project through to completion.
- Technology roadmap: Technology inevitably evolves over time. This provides constant opportunities to offer a better, faster, and cost-effective service. Technology should take center stage considering when reviewing a strategy, due to its role in IT.
- Best practices: A key component of the IT organization’s ability to support the business is its adherence to best practices.
- IT governance: It is crucial to have policies and procedures that define how the IT organization manages and evaluates new initiatives, quality, and budget. This section of the plan identifies the IT governance gaps and plans for improvement.
These are just some of the components a good IT strategy should have. Regardless of which state of its IT journey your organization is, Team Venti can help it succeed via the smart implementation and support of Microsoft technologies and solutions.