Navigating Governance: Empowering Organizational Success with Microsoft's Cloud Adoption Framework
The speed at which technology moves requires organizations to constantly evaluate governance models and frameworks. New technologies are fostering more innovation, more robust collaboration features, and capabilities which are being developed or integrated into existing platforms. This brings new security considerations and challenges but only tells half the story as to why adopting governance for your organization is paramount.
Public and private-sector organizations today are subject to many regulations governing the protection of confidential information, financial accountability, data retention and disaster recovery, among others. They’re also under pressure from shareholders, stakeholders, and customers to ensure they meet internal and external requirements. As a result, many organizations implement a formal IT governance program that provides a framework of best practices and controls.
There are a variety of governance frameworks created by industry experts and used by hundreds of thousands of organizations worldwide. Some examples include COBIT, ITIL, FAIR, COSO, and CMMI, but how does an organization choose which framework is best? We recommend considering a framework or model that feels like a natural fit for your corporate culture and resonates with stakeholders.
What is Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework?
With any cloud platform, there are common governance disciplines that help inform policies and align toolchains. Whether you are considering the roll out of Microsoft 365, or you plan to adopt Microsoft Azure, these disciplines offer guiding principles about the proper level of automation and enforcement of corporate policy across all cloud platforms.
Expert Managed IT Services
5 Disciplines of Cloud Governance:
- Cost Management – Cost is a primary concern for cloud users. Develop policies for cost control for all cloud platforms.
- Security Baselines – Security is a complex subject, unique to each company. Once security requirements are established, cloud governance policies and enforcement apply those requirements across network, data, and asset configurations.
- Identity Baselines – Inconsistencies in the application of identity requirements can increase the risk of breach. The Identity Baseline discipline focuses on ensuring that identity is consistently applied across cloud adoption efforts.
- Resource Consistency – Cloud operations depend on consistent resource configuration. Through governance tooling, resources can be configured consistently to manage risks related to onboarding, drift, discoverability, and recovery.
- Deployment Acceleration – Centralization, standardization, and consistency in approaches to deployment and configuration improve governance practices. When provided through cloud-based governance tooling, they create a cloud factor that can accelerate deployment activities.
Why engage with Team Venti for assistance with your Microsoft Collaboration or Azure governance initiatives?
For almost 15 years, Team Venti has been assisting customers with their governance initiatives and on account of the pervasiveness of cloud technologies, it’s more important than ever for organizations to develop a robust cloud governance strategy in parallel with cloud implementation.
Our goal is to partner with organizations, engage in thoughtful discussions, and provide prescriptive guidance when navigating the considerations required to implement a sound governance strategy. We help organizations of all sizes identify business risks, corporate policies for risk mitigation, and design guidance for implementing technical solutions.
Although the design guidance is specific to Microsoft cloud technologies, you can apply other content in the Cloud Adoption Framework documentation in a cloud-agnostic or multi-cloud approach. Team Venti helps you to create personalized governance solutions that meet various business needs, and these needs could include the governance of multiple public clouds through detailed guidance on the development of corporate policies, processes, and tooling.
By having such a plan in place, the organization can begin to take the first steps towards establishing a set of policies, roles, responsibilities, and processes that will guide, direct, and control how it’s different departments and stakeholders cooperate to effectively achieve business goals using Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Azure solutions. Book a meeting today to discover more how we can help you adopt a thoughtful governance plan for your organization.
Sign up to learn more
Get news, updates, and insights about Microsoft solutions, technologies, and best practices.